Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Events of Dog Sitting

I have been dog/puppy sitting for my friend who raises the Maltese.
They are so cuddly and sweet!

The first day, first thing in the morning, the Momma dog with three nursing puppies ran away.
She ran across the neighbors field, and up the next hill to the house on top. Ralph and I drove out around and over to that ridge. There she was. The couple that live there hadn't left for work
yet. He said I could move my car ahead and park,...and he would get his boots on and help catch her. By the time we did this, she was gone! She moves very fast, her little legs a churning.
Drove back home, stopping at a few places....asking them to call if they see this dog.
Went and got my daughter Alisa, so she could stay with Ralph. Got changed into proper clothes and shoes, and said I wasn't coming home until I found that dog.

Had to drive back over to where I had seen her and stopped at more houses along the way. Some folks said they would help me look. Another lady held my hand and prayed. Everyone said they would watch for her. One more trip up to that house....I could hear faint, squeeky barking way down in t he field. Looking down from where I was, it would be better to walk in from home.

Went back and ask my neighbor to call the folks that had offered to help, and tell them we heard barking down by the pond. Crossed the fence and walked down in there, no dog. Soon I could follow the barking. Went through three more fences....there she was, ....then off she went.
Then up the hill again! I could see her go to a metal shed behind a yellow house. The back of it was open all the way across and it was full of stuff. In she went.

All this time I was carrying a little plate of chicken bits and her squeeky toy. She wouldn't come out, but I'd toss her a bit of chicken from time to time. She was standing on a lawn mower. The shed was really full, so she was safely back in there. Soon I heard voices, and it was the couple that had offered to help. The man climbed in there and got behind the dog. She didn't like that, so came out for a bite of chicken and I grabbed her. Back down and through the fields....passing the dog back and forth as we came through the fences. At home she had the mud washed off, then back to her puppies. This all took about three hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment